#RoadTripperMonday – a weekly feature of our very own Road Tripper.
Hooray for the first Monday of July! Today, we applaud one of the essential people in travelling. Because we know how hard it is to get that perfect shot to post on your Facebook or Instagram account, we give the spotlight to the photographers who do it for us. In today’s Road Tripper Monday, we will meet a face who is always behind the camera. All eyes on Aby Ang, the photographer! More than capturing people and places, she also captured our hearts as she shared moments with us in experiencing beautiful destinations in the Philippines.
To know more about Aby, read more about her here —
1. What do you do for a living?
I’m a lead for a creative and dev team – the official title is “e-learning and mobile lead” but I mostly try to point where my team should go and when I need it done. They’re dedicated and much more talented than I am.
On my down time, I help out with a friend’s luxury travel booking site by consulting on their community management.
2. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
Psychological thrillers and watching documentaries on all things related to abnormal psychology.
3. What is the title of the movie of your life?
“‘Oh No’: The Life and Times of Aby Ang”.
4. If you could go back in time what would you tell your 16 year old self?
I’d sit myself down and say, “be kinder to yourself and to your family”.
5. If you can be teleported anywhere around the world, where would it be and why?
Iceland – haven’t been there. I’ve been meaning to go and almost did but ended up in Lyon, France instead due to logistics. (By logistics, I meant I headed to France because my friend gave me a free ticket to see their band live.)
6. Which celebrity would you go on a “one-night-only-date” with?
Chris Evans! But preferably multiple nights haha
7. You, unfortunately have been condemned to die, but fortunately, you get to have any meal in the world before you go. What is your menu?
Sinigang na hipon, bagoong, and maybe a truck full of rice. Or spicy chickenjoy pero hindi leg part!
8. If you could trade places with anyone right now, for a week, who would it be and why?
Whoever Chris Evans is sleeping with. For obvious purposes! Haha!
9. What is the best present you ever received?
I’ve been told to be the most difficult person to buy a gift for, but the best one I received is from one of my friends in my previous work. There were 6 of us within the group, and she gave us 6 goodybags with trinkets within it that were chosen specifically for each of our personalities and wants. It’s really sweet and must have taken her a long time to gather.
10. If you could meet a famous or not so famous person, who would that be and why?
Can we include the ones who already passed? If yes, I’d like to meet my grandparents again. Hug them tighter and tell them I love them.
11. How old should a person start traveling?
Vague question: traveling alone or traveling with other people? I’ve travelled with my family since I was a kid, but I started traveling on my own when I was 18. My take is: it doesn’t matter what your age is. If you can afford to travel without starving afterwards, go for it.
12. What is your best experience in traveling/living in the Philippines?
It’s difficult to look into the bright side when majority of what I see, hear, and feel in this country are leaning towards frustration and helplessness. The daily commute is horrible, the cities are congested, the pay has a huge room for improvement – but whenever I leave the country for long periods of time, I always find myself wanting to go back because it’s home. Time flies a little slower here, you know? I get kinder here and much less likely to verbally eviscerate someone.
The best experience traveling locally so far? El Nido, Palawan with someone very important to me. The place is absolutely breathtaking and the people are ridiculously hospitable.
13. In one sentence, how would you like people to remember you?
“Holy shit, that woman is spitfire.”