#RoadTripperMonday – a weekly feature of our very own Road Tripper.
And it’s Monday again! One of the hardest things to write about in Road Tripper Monday is when we introduce the Road Tripper. But for this particular Road Tripper, we did not have a problem with. Meet JJ Villanueva. And here is what he has to say about himself –
Hi! I’m SirJJ. Actually, I’m a Certified Public Accountant by profession, but I’m a teacher by passion. I used to work at the largest professional services firm in the Philippines, SGV & Co. Did audit work for 3 years. At first, it was fun. You really get to practice what you’ve learned during college. But it came to a point when I was just dragging myself to work. There was no life. There was no fire in what I do. I asked myself, “does this job give me the opportunity to do what I do best every day?” the quick answer was no. Until I was given the chance to facilitate some training and workshops. And the first time I held a microphone in my hand and talk in front of people about things that really matter, I said to myself, “this is what I love to do! I love to teach people; I love to be with people; I love to talk about love.” So I quit that job and started teaching. I’ve been teaching for 8 years now and there’s no greater satisfaction than to see the lives of people change because you’ve been a part of it. Swabeh! Hehe!
To know more about swabeh JJ, read more about him here —
1. What do you do for a living?
I’m a writer and a creative manager. I handle creative teams writing teleseryes under the Star Creatives unit of ABSCBN.
Can you name some of the Teleseryes: Maging Sino Ka Man, Magkaribal, imortal, princess and I, forevermore, the Legal Wife, A Love to Last, Got to Believe, among others I heard that you sometimes travel to write.
Alala ko one of your concern the last road trip is kung may kuryente para sa laptop mo. Yup, I do. Writing is really about seeing the world differently. It’s easier to do that in a place that’s unfamiliar to me.
Nakapagsulat ka na rin ba based from true story? I mean kahit hindi tungkol sayo, mga kakilala ganyan. Lahat naman ng sinulat ko, all the human stories in there kahit fantasy are based on real experiences.
2. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
I collect blankets! Haha
3. What is the title of the movie of your life?
Hmmmm…. a title is the hardest to finalize! Haha, but a tentative one would be “back and forth” as that’s how I view life.
4. If you could go back in time what would you tell your 16 year old self?
I am glad to meet you. You inspire me.
5. If you can be teleported anywhere around the world, where would it be and why?
Australia. My brother is there finishing his masters, and my sister is currently visiting. I think there is no better place than with family.
6. Which celebrity would you go on a “one-night-only-date” with?
Haruki Murakami would be nice. He’d tour me around the best places in Tokyo to drink and have fun while talking about writing and life!
7. You, unfortunately, have been condemned to die, but fortunately, you get to have any meal in the world before you go. What is your menu?
Sinigang na baboy, pritong tilapia, rice, bagoong at manggang hilaw. And minatamis na kamoteng kahoy! Food I grew up with
8. If you could trade places with anyone right now, for a week, who would it be and why?
One of the people manning the International Space Station. Because I need space! Haha but kidding aside, that’s an awesome experience I guess, and see the world in a different perspective.
9. What is the best present you ever received?
A Big Breakfast from Mcdo from my siblings. Coz that’s enough.
10. If you could meet a famous or not so famous person, who would that be and why?
If to meet lang, maybe Stephen Hawking. I’ll be needing a selfie.
11. How old should a person start traveling?
Start early. It takes time to start really “seeing” the world.
12. What is your best experience in traveling/living in the Philippines?
Seeing one particular Boracay sunset brought tears to my eyes. Everything about that day made sense.
13. In one sentence, how would you like people to remember you?
That I searched for meaning in life, and that I shared what I found.